Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Overdue Update

It's been a while since I've posted a Thanksgiving chick update. They've really grown! Tonight I moved them from the huge box in the basement out to the pen in the garage. It's bitter cold, so I hung the heat lamp pretty low so they can feel the heat. They're all feathered out, so I think they'll be fine.



Out of the seven, I think at least two if not three are cockerels. I know to of the red Buff Orpington crosses are cockerels. Most of the others look like pullets, but it's a little soon to tell.



And want to hear something funny? A day or two after the chicks hatched, my 2 year old nephew went and picked one of the chicks up out of their box. He managed to carry it out into the hall before anyone noticed (sneaky little bugger). The chick was fine, not hurt. But......

now it carries its head a little crooked. I think it's hilarious! It doesn't affect the chick at all, and it's not even all that noticeable. And hey, I guess it could have had a crooked head before Evan carried it, who knows! I haven't told my sister yet, because I didn't want her to worry or feel bad. So Becky, don't feel bad! Now I have a great story to tell!

You can kind of see what I mean in this picture. It always looks like it's looking up at the sky. :-)I think "it's" a she. Maybe I'll name her Ilene.


Hope you're all staying warm out! It's sooo cold and windy here!

1 comment:

Jen said...

Your Nov. chickies are growing nicely, they are so cute. I still cant tell what my Nov. chickies are (girl/boys) I really hope all 4 are girls cause I figured out that our lil mean bantam rooster is the dad to all of them and I really dont want anymore lil mean bantam roos!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...