Monday, March 1, 2010

Hot Stuff

We got two new "hot" things recently and I wanted to share.

We got an air popcorn popper. It's not only way cheaper to avoid microwave popcorn, but it's healthier too. This air popper was only $20.


We also got a pellet stove! We only had a heat pump before this, and we were getting slammed with high electric bills. We figured we'd get a pellet stove for the basement and see how it did heating the house. The stove puts off a good bit of heat, so the basement is nice and warm. It's not quite as warm as we'd hoped upstairs, but I think having it is better than not having it!



I really like that it looks like a woodstove and smells like a woodstove. Our first choice was to go with a woodstove, but we couldn't afford to fix our chimney or put in a new one, so we went with the pellet stove.

We're working on getting our basement tidied up so we can use it as an actual living space instead of a catch-all room! I'll post more pictures as we progress.

8 comments:

gz said...

I've always used a nice big heavy saucepan with a good fitting lid for popping corn. I like the sound effects!!

Becky said...

I love your stove! It'll be nice for you guys to be able to use your basement now without freezing :)
We are definitely going to get an air popper soon. After reading about the toxic chemicals they line the microwave bags with, air popping sounds like the way to go.

tberry29 said...

Hey We have one of those popcorn poppers..It was given to me by my MIL..I have never used it though. Figured it was too much of a hassle. But now with what I keep hearing about the microwaves..maybe I should pull it out and use it huh? So was it a pain to clean everytime u use it?..My bunch (not me though) eats ALOT of popcorn.
~Trish~

katiegirl said...

Hey Trish! Nope, no cleaning at all! You don't use any oil, so all you have to do is wipe out the bottom with a washcloth or paper towel. The little cup at the top is a measuring cup/butter warmer, so that's the only thing that really needs cleaning.

I used to make it on the stove, but I got tired of having to shake the pot back and forth to avoid burning! This is so easy and really quick!

suzyQ said...

I love my air popper-especially when I make my vast quantities of annual holiday caramel corn-- you can pop batch after batch quickly and no risk of burning.

I'm eager to learn how you like your pellet stove. We've been working on making our basement a livable space too, but it's too darn cold to spend time down there in winter. Maybe a pellet stove is the answer.

tberry29 said...

Hey Katie thanks for the info on it..I woulda thought you had to use oil..When MIL gave it to me it wasnt in the box. I dont know if she got it at a garage sale or what..I will definately let ya know when I use it how they like it. I gotta buy some popcorn Kernels first ; )

Jen said...

Cool stuff... I stopped buying microwave popcorn a year ago and just pop ours on the stove... the 1st night I did this I laughed so hard cause our youngest son (guess he was 9 or 10) thought it was soooo cool, I forgot he'd never seen it done, he still likes to watch it POP. That was the only kind we had as a young child, lol.

Deb Johnson, Quiltbeeme said...

I know you love having your Den warm now! I just read a This Old House magazine article on how clean pellets are to burn! Good Job Katie! Love, Momma

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...