Sunday, November 8, 2009

Meet Darla!

I went today to pick up my Southdown ewe from the breeder's place. She's a registered yearling Southdown ewe. She lambed this past spring, so she was bred as a lamb. This spring will be her second lambing. I got her from the breeder I've always bought sheep from. My sister and I bought (well, our parents paid) our first 4-H market lambs from him about 18 years ago! That's crazy.



She needs to be sheared because she wasn't done this spring. I need to check my shearing machine, because I don't think my blades are sharp enough. I haven't used it in a couple years. If I can't do it myself, I'll have to find someone local to do it. There should be enough time before it gets too cold for her to grow in enough wool to protect her from the weather this winter.



I did trim the wool away from her eyes so she could at least see! She should be lambing this spring. The breeder said he had her in with a Southdown ram, but a Hampshire ram hopped the fence, so we'll see what the lambs are!


We worked on the shelter today too. We got 3/4 of the way done. We just have to cut one more section of wall and then paint everything. And I finally hooked up the electric fence. The goats had been standing on it and pushing it down. The girls got shocked within the first few minutes! Rude awakening!



And I harvested some turnips from the garden! I think they're so pretty for some reason!


Hope you all had a great weekend!!

3 comments:

Becky said...

Oh, poor Darla! Look at all that wool. I can't wait to see how she looks shorn. I love Southdowns. Those fluffy heads are cute :)
Great job with the shelter. Are you closing in the long side so they'll just have that door sized opening? That should keep them cozy this winter.
Those turnip are beautiful and so uniform! Tell us what you decide to make with them :)

Deb Johnson, Quiltbeeme said...

I was thinking that cute is not the word I'd use... kinda like what I thought when Becky first introduced me to Gigi......hmmm...... he he I bet she's cute under that dirty wool! How is old JT? How's his wife? Long time you've known him!! I hope she settles right in Katie pooh. Love you, Momma

katiegirl said...

Becky- I'm going to leave the long front open and put one more piece in that side. That's the north side, so I want it to be closed in. And I just cooked the turnips until they were soft, added a little butter and salt. I liked them, but David didn't. LOL. I'm going to mash the leftovers tonight.

Mom- He's doing alright. He had some health problems this summer, but he said he's feeling better now. His wife is good!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...