Friday, September 18, 2009

The Meaties

The broilers are almost 8 1/2 weeks old now. They are slightly behind schedule because I tried to take the cheap way out by feeding them layer food. Now that they're back on a feed with high enough protein, they're growing. Imagine that!

I need to weigh them, but some are thisclose to being big enough for processing. Some of the females are still a little on the small side. They'll have to wait another two weeks though, because next weekend we're going to NC. Hopefully I won't have too many problems with them getting too big between now and then.







They're doing more of this lately.....


Although I have to say I'm extremly impressed by how much they've been foraging. They get a bad rap for being lazy and not so good for free-range production, but this group is extremely mobile. They go all over the yard looking for tasy bugs.



Here are some videos I took this afternoon. It didn't take long for the broilers to learn I am the thing that feeds them. They run after me whenever I come around now. Well, unless they just finished gorging themselves, that is. :)






2 comments:

Becky said...

Those videos are so cute! Those chickens love you! and food! They get around really well but I love the waddle. Chickies got a big ol' butt, oh yeah! hehe

Anonymous said...

nice web page! looks like a lot of happy chooks to me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...