Thursday, June 4, 2009

Rainy Day

It's been raining lately, which means I don't have to water the garden. Yesterday a storm came through and it poured, but today it's a nice and slow rain. I went out when I got home and fertilized everything. Hopefully the corn will get growing, because I feel like it's slacking.



The flowers I seeded in front of the garage are doing really well! There are some seedlings that need to be thinned. Maybe I'll get a chance to do that this weekend. Hopefully I can carefully thin them and then re-plant them elsewhere.


The nasturtiums have grown quite a bit! I can't wait until they bloom. The blossoms are edible!


The chickens were outside huddled next to the wall of the garage today when I got home. A few of the Golden Comets (the big girls) had gotten out. Scooter tried to help me catch them, isn't he helpful. ;-) I think the rest of the chickens were staying outside with the escapees for moral support. Once they were back in the pen, they all went inside and huddled together next to the pen.


The turkeys are doing well! They get lonely when all the chickens go outside though. I still don't want to put them together because they're still a little vulnerable and the chickens form gangs and harass them.


I re-did the run for the chickens yesterday. They'd eaten all the plants in their first one, so I expanded it lengthwise to give them a little more greenery. I really need to get more mesh so I can make a bigger pen. It's amazing how fast 14 little chicks can demolish the plant life.


Here's a shot of the backyard in the rain. All I've been able to do lately is daydream about getting a goat and some sheep. I talked to a goat breeder the other day and he said he'd be able to sell me a bred Oberhasli doe (they're much prettier than the one pictured) this fall. She'd kid in the spring and I could start milking her then! Hopefully she'll be within my budget. I thought about getting a Nubian or an Alpine, but after talking to breeders, I think an Oberhasli would be a great goat. Apparently Nubians can be stupid, and Alpines are too noisy and troublesome. We had a few Nubian/Alpine crosses, and they were a handful. I don't remember my sister's Alpine being naughty, but I figured I'd give a different breed a shot.

The sheep/goat pen will go in the back, and hopefully we can lease the acre next to us for more space.


What's that Scoot? You're tired of being out in the rain and you want to go inside? Ok!


Oh, I found a great blog today! It's called Squash Blossom Farm, and it's great so far! I'll have to find some time to read the older posts. I wish I had 10 acres like they do. I always think about all the stuff I'd love to do....sell eggs, make cheese, sell chickens, sell lamb, make things like pasta and bread to sell. The list goes on and on and on. One day....one day.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Things are growing great! Don't you love it when the rain does your watering for you :) I love the chicken run. Gosh, I would never have guessed that little chicks could get rid of plants like that! Hi Scooter! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...