Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Gobble!

On the way home from our honeymoon, David and I made a quick stop through Southern Maryland to see if there were any turkeys at the farmers market. (Dad, I didn't call because it was a last minute decision and we didn't want you to feel obligated to wake up early and meet us there! ) The Amish farmer who was selling poultry said he had turkeys at home, but he didn't bring them because he thought they might be a bit small. He said he'd bring them the following week. I explained that we were just passing through on our way to the Shore, and asked if he'd sell the ones he had at home. He agreed, and gave me directions to his house. I met his nice wife, and she got the turkey poults for me! Yay!

They're already feathering out, which is great because now they don't need the heat lamp unless it's very chilly at night. I put them in with my chicks, and the darn chicks started picking on them. Now the turkeys are kept separate. Hopefully when they get bigger I can combine them.

I think I'll name them Thanksgiving and Christmas. ;-)

1 comment:

Becky said...

Yay for turkeys! I'm so glad you can finally start to have farm animals again :) They're really cute!
About your favorite rooster, what about Chief, Sargent, ... I'll keep thinking.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...