Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Vegetable Stand

The little vegetable stand I set up out front has been a great success so far! I'm really surprised at how much money it makes. I'm even more surprised I've never seen anyone stop there. Weird.

I put the sign back up on Saturday. David's dad brought me some great wooden quart (or half quart?) containers, so I've been using them to sell the tomatoes. I think it works much better selling them as a bunch rather than individually.


This morning I harvested stuff and put almost everything on the stand. I kept a few squashes, the not-so-perfect tomates, and all the jalepenos (I'd like to make something with them) for us.

This is what it looked like when I left at 8:00 AM. When I got home, I'd sold 2 baskets of tomatoes, 3 cukes, 5 yellow squash, and all but one of the white patty pan squashes. I think total, the stand has brought in about $25 in two weeks. I used some of the money to buy a new chicken feeder and waterer for the broilers!


Oh, and remember that little baby black bird I had? Well, I called Tri-State Bird Rescue to check on him, and sadly he had to be euthanized on Saturday. They put a pin in his broken femur, but he was too stressed out and ended up injuring himself further. Poor little guy.




Remember that old sugar sack I found from my thrift store trip?? Well, I finally framed it and hung it on the wall! I really like it. It's almost the exact color of the wall. I'd like to paint the room (the mud/sun room), but I'm not sure what color.

2 comments:

Patrick said...

You should make pepper jelly with the jalepenoes. I made some last summer and it was really easy to do and everyone in my family said it was good (I don't eat must of the stuff I make). My family ate it on their sausage or would eat it on crackers with cream cheese.

Becky said...

Oops, I missed this post somehow. I love the sugar sack! What if you painted the mud room a warm pale blue. Does that make sense? Warm and blue don't usually go together but I'm picturing something between powder blue and robin's egg?
Good job on the veggie stand!! That's awesome!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...