Thursday, May 27, 2010

It's Chicken Time!

My first order of broilers for the season arrived last Friday. I ordered 35 but now have 30 of them. I had bad luck on this shipment. I ordered from Meyer Hatchery but they're giving me a credit for the ones I lost. I should have ordered more, and by the time I called to see if I could order more they were already out of chicks for this hatch. Darn! I'll just order more in a few weeks.

Most of this order will be reserved for my sister. She'll be visiting in August and will be helping out with the processing! The chickens will be slightly older than "normal" processing age, but that's ok, it just means more meat!

And if you notice, I'm using egg carton bottoms for feeders. I ran out of the long chicken feeders, so I used these in a pinch. They're working wonderfully, at least until the chicks get bigger! I'll definitely use them again. And you can compost them when they get too dirty. Bonus!


The turkeys are getting big. Here are a few of them roosting on the brooder pen. Oh, and a guinea. Those keets are pretty darn cute!

4 comments:

Jen said...

Nice... we wanna get some broilers too :)

Becky said...

Yay! Our future roasted chicken dinners! :) I can't thank you enough for raising them for us. Great idea with the egg carton feeders! The turkeys (and keet) are so cute roosting :)

Kim said...

Good for you! I've considered broilers but don't know if I can handle the processing myself. Maybe I should try it out on the rooster I hate. Let us know how it goes in August.

Deb Johnson, Quiltbeeme said...

I think they look GREAT! They are so darned cute! I love how you're really farming! Love, Momma

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...