My mom recently gave me some funding to use on my "farm" so I could get things done or buy things I need. One thing I desperately needed to do was re-do the chicken yard fence. When we first built our fences, we just used field fence (large holes) to fence around the pasture and chicken yard. I didn't think it would be a big deal that the chickens could squeeze through the holes. Boy, was I wrong! They have pooped on everything, scratched the mulch away from the gardens and flowerbeds, eaten all of my tomatoes, and gotten out in/near the road. They needed to be contained!
I bought 2"X4" mesh so I could have the option of fencing them in their yard during the day, and possibly letting them out in the evenings. If they're let out in the evenings, they don't range quite so far from the coop.
I started out by ripping out the old fence.
I expanded their yard since they'd be spending the majority of their time there.
I used my new tripod and camera to take this picture. I'll blog about those later.
Here's how the new pen looks. It will be SO much better once it's done.
Here's the other side of the pen. Wouldn't you know it, I ran out of fence with about 20' left to fence. I think I have enough chain link laying around to fence it, but I'm not sure it it'll be tall enough.
I did most of the work by myself. It's almost impossible to stretch the fence AND connect it to the posts, so David helped me with that part. I did all of the ripping out and putting in the new posts (which was easy because the ground was soft). It's nice to be able to do things by myself. It makes me feel useful and able! And I have to say, it was nice to be able to fence in January....in 60* weather!!
And thanks, Mom, for funding this project!