Monday, March 16, 2015

One Sick Piggy

The piglet is not doing well.  She got scours (diarrhea) the day after I brought her home.  I first thought she was adjusting to the new diet, but it got worse.  I suspected it was a bacterial thing, started treating her with Spectogard Scour-Chek (spectinomycin), which is an oral antibiotic used to treat bacterial scours in pigs.  She seemed to be doing ok, but then crashed on Saturday.  I found her listless, laying on her side and not very responsive.  I gave her more fluids (I had to tube her) and started her on penicillin.  After several hours, she seemed to perk up. 


I spoke with one of my best friends, who is a vet, and she suspected septicemia, since I told her the pig's snout and ear tips were dark.  I started her on a second antibiotic (LA-200) and I'm hoping the antibiotics and supportive care will be enough to help her pull through this. 


So, every few hours, the pig gets either milk or electrolytes (alternating feedings), and three times a day she gets an antibiotic injected.  She seems more alert, but is still weak.  She's a fighter though, and as long as she's not in pain I'll give her every chance.  If she starts going downhill or I think she's just had enough, then we'll humanely euthanize her. 


I tell ya, it doesn't take long to get attached to a teeny piggy when you spend every minute holding her and trying to nurse her back to health.  In the evenings, she lays on my chest when I'm on the couch.  I don't know for sure if being close like that helps her, but I think it does and it makes me feel like I'm doing something, even if it is just snuggling her.


So, if you're so inclined, send some positive vibes our way.  :-)   

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Awww, I'm so sorry to hear about your piggy. It's so hard when you lose something especially when you are trying so hard to save her. Good luck, sending good vibes your way!

Becky said...

I'm crossing my fingers that she recovers! She's definitely in good hands though and I know she appreciates all the snuggles when she's not feeling good.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...