Thursday, April 19, 2012

The New Boys

 I sold the 2 goat kids last night and the pig is pretty lonely.  I'd been anticipating this, and have been looking for a second pig.  The guy I got my current pig from had a litter born recently (on Easter, April 8th), so I put the word out that I needed another one.  He said he had a little runt who wasn't doing well, and probably wouldn't survive (having to fight against much bigger and stronger siblings for food) so I could have him if I wanted him.   Of course I did!  I love a challenge.  I went over there today and he had 2 piglets in a box for me, since both of them were having a hard time competing with the bigger pigs.  One is truly a runt, and was born teeny. The other just probably didn't get to nurse as much as the others.  So I brought them home. 

















 First thing I did was bathe them.  They were pretty stinky.  The piglet below is the bigger of the two.





















And below is the little runt (in the kitchen sink).
















Then I handed the piglets off to the kids to wrap in towels and hold for a bit. 





































They smell much better after their baths.  Then I tried feeding them with a bottle, but they weren't too interested.  They like drinking from a dish much better. 

















After I while I wanted to go outside and put up my new electronet fence for the sheep, so I went to the closet and got a sheet to make into a sling. 
















I tucked them inside and fastened the loose top with a safety pin.  They were snug as bugs in a rug! 






















I snapped the photo of the sling so you can see how it looks. It just ties in the back and I slung it over my shoulder.  It let me carry them around and still get work done. 

I'll keep you posted on the boys' progress.  I may name them...not sure.  It's not exactly like I can call them all Pig Pig now.  And they're all spotted, so I can't call them by color.  :-)

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my god that is the cutest thing I have EVER Seen!!!! Runt pigs in a sling none the less!!!!!!!

Patty said...

They are so adorable! I am going to start telling myself "NO!" right now. :)

Becky said...

They are so stinkin' cute!!! I wish I could snuggle them!! The sling has the be the sweetest thing I've ever seen! Baby wearing goes porcine!! I hope they do well and can join Pig Pig soon. :)

For names, what about Chicharones (fried pork rinds) and Panceta (spanish for bacon). :)

Deb Johnson, Quiltbeeme said...

Oh Katie!!! How very very sweet and they are adorable! I wish I was there right now. I could 'piggy sit' them! Way to go hon! I can't wait to track their progress!! I love how you are wearing them in the sling! I bet they'll start growing immediately with your care! Add Pig Whisperer to your resume!! Love you, Momma

Deb Johnson, Quiltbeeme said...

Ps- no food names yet, please... I want them to stay in my Charlotte's Web vision of the world for a bit longer...

Kim said...

So cute, Katie! Love the sling.

Jen said...

They are so sweet Katie... hope they both do great. Love the sling, such a great idea. This makes me miss my Princess Porkchop.

Meredith A said...

That farmer found the right person for the job!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...