Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Asparagus

 If I wasn't such a procrastinator, I would have planted asparagus right when we moved here.  If I had done that, we would be enjoying our full blown asparagus harvest this spring.  Instead, I waited 3 years.  Yep, that's typical!  Oh well, at least I finally did it and that's what matters. 

I ordered some Jersey Knight asparagus, and planted them this weekend. I dug a long trench all the way down one side of the garden.  It was hard to decide where to put them since they're staying put and will be there for a very long time.  















This poor crown was so desperate to grow it sprouted before I even got it in the ground.   I put lime and fertilizer down in the trench. Hopefully these crowns will grow well and provide us with a lot of delicious asparagus in the coming years. 

















And hopefully the asparagus isn't so close to the road that people will stop and steal it.  Do people do that?  Steal asparagus?  Hopefully not! 

















We really love asparagus in this house, so we can't wait to be able to harvest it!  Luckily there's a large vegetable farm near us and they grow acres and acres of it, so we can get it pretty cheaply until we get our own!

3 comments:

Patty said...

Way to go, Katie! We'd like to get a bed of asparagus going too. Unfortunately, we can't get it cheaply here. It costs about $8/lbd. at our whole foods coop. :(

Becky said...

Better late then never, right?! :) I hope it does well and you end up with tons of wonderful asparagus!

Deb Johnson, Quiltbeeme said...

I am glad you planted it this year and shared some with me! You will be happy you planted it - like a gift each year! Keep the weeds down or they'll give up. I like to mulch mine heavily. Love, Momma

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...