Thursday, April 5, 2012

Spring Grazing


It seems like I was just saying how it felt like the grass was never going to grow, and here I am already rotating the animals around for grazing.  We got a warm spell about two weeks ago, and it really jump started everything!

The girls really love getting out to graze.  I've still go them in their sacrifice area in their pasture, since the grass out there isn't ready to be grazed yet.  Since I've got a small space, that's one thing I can do to ensure they don't eat the grass down to nothing (which is a great way to kill off your pasture).  The girls don't appreciate it, but they don't get to make the rules.  :-)

They mostly respect this 2-strand fence I'm using, but I'm saving up for more electronetting so I can have a better portable fence for them.
















Grazing is very hard work for little lambs!


















 Here's Bean, or as my mom likes to call her, Monkeyface. 


















And here's her sister, Barley (I know they say you're supposed to love your kids equally, but she's my favorite of the two).

















June LOVES to graze, and she probably eats faster than anyone.

















The lambs are pros at grazing now.  They are pretty entertaining. Every night at dusk they get a little wild and run and jump and act like typical crazy little lambs. Watching them is one of my favorite things to do!

3 comments:

Becky said...

Look at your grass! It looks great! Your animals are all so cute!! June is still my favorites but man are those sheep cute. You may convince me that sheep are cool afterall. ;)

Deb Johnson, Quiltbeeme said...

I LOVE the photos of them grazing. I love my Monkeyface girl! The lambs are growing like weeds!! They are so sturdy and strong Katie! All of them look wonderful and happy! Love you, Momma

Jen said...

Sweet Pics Katie... I sit out with my goat herd just about every evening to let them graze, I love it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...