Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Eating Machines

We have 9 turkeys left. I sold 2 to a friend a couple of weeks ago. The remaining 9 are very large and eat a ton! I feed them (along with the chickens) in these two troughs just inside the chicken run. The turkeys used to have free-range of our property, until they started wandering waaaaay too far. I caught them across the road once, and I put a stop to their roaming ways.
Now they stay in the sheep pasture, but I had to figure out a way to feed them so the sheep (and goats) couldn't eat their food. This works really well. The turkeys reach through the fencing to eat, and the sheep can't get to it. The feed cost is really starting to add up though. The chickens and turkeys go through 2 bags of feed per week. Add that in with the 2 bags per week for the broilers, and it's an easy $36-40 per week in just poultry feed alone.


I think I'll be processing the turkeys soon, maybe this weekend or next weekend. They're really pretty, and I'll miss them, but I won't miss their food bill.


It's funny, but many times I catch the turkeys in segregated groups. The white ones will hang out and the bronze ones will hang out.


Pretty soon my freezer will be chock full of turkeys!


Many are going to friends and family. I think we'll keep 2, and we may have an extra turkey or two to sell or barter.


Next year I hope to get a few heritage breed turkeys to keep year round. I'll miss having turkeys on the homestead.

6 comments:

Kelly said...

The turkeys look beautiful and I know those birds can eat you out of house and home. I think they make nice Christmas presents too. LOL. I want to get some heritage breeds to keep over winter too. I have heard so many people talk about how stupid turkeys are. I have never found this to be true. They can be sweet and follow you around. Great pets.

Becky said...

Wow, Kate! Look how they've grown! They're really pretty... well, pretty is a weird way to describe turkeys.. but you know what I mean :) I love your way of feeding them! Very smart! That's heck of a lot of money on feed every week. I'm looking forward to our turkeys! :)

Jen said...

They are beautiful. I go through 2 bags of feed here too with my chickens... up to 70ish now, need to cut back, I've been spending 30.00 a week on fed, cant keep that up! Gonna try to cut back on the fed since I let them free range all day.

Jen said...

* Feed not Fed, I'm still asleep this morning, lol

Deb Johnson, Quiltbeeme said...

That's a lot of money Katie! They sure look gorgeous! You raise gorgeous animals hon! We are willing pay for that good care and healthy meat. Charge us and include a profit margin for all the work you do. Love you, Momma

Susan said...

Wow- such spectacular turkeys! I know what you mean about feed costs. We processed our turkeys and a couple guineas on Monday. I totally love the turkeys. I am perhaps a bit too attached to them--I wonder how many farmers the processor gets who are sobbing as they unload their birds?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...