Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Sheep Update


My little bottle baby went outside today to see snow and get some fresh air.  He loved it, but stuck close by me.  
We got fresh snow early this morning, about an inch and a half, but it got up to 45* today so it melted fairly quickly.  Our temps are supposed to get up to 60 this week, but next week be back below freezing.  The poor animals...I'm not sure how they keep up with the changes.  

Today is the first time I've seen the baby bunnies get out of the nest box. Doe #2 had a very small litter...just 3 and 2 survived. They're growing fast, and she has done an excellent job of keeping them tucked in a nice nest of warm bunny fur.  
 Poor girl doesn't get any rest now that they're following her around the whole cage.


Bean and her lambs are doing great. The lambs were hopping and skipping all around the jug today. 
Darla is huge, and I really hope she lambs soon.  I just feel bad for her...seems she can't get comfortable.  She and Bean are irritated at each other, and they've been headbutting (gently mostly) through the jug wall (cattle panel).  I hope to get Bean and her lambs out into the main pasture this week while it's warm.  Her lambs should be able to handle the cold temps as long as they're nursing fine.  


There are 2 remaining ewes outside, Barley and Dixie. We took the ram to the butcher this weekend.  I didn't have any interested buyers, and I didn't have a place to separate him from the ewes and lambs.  

I think Barley has about a week to week and a half left before lambing, and I'm not sure about Dixie. I'll just have to keep an eye on her. 

 Barley, below. 

Right now I'm sitting on my couch blogging and watching Darla and Bean through the baby monitor.  They must be trash talking each other because they're back to head butting.  I may have to hang a curtain between them.  Me-ow!  Like a bunch of kids.... "Bean is looking at me wrong!"  "You started it!"

3 comments:

Deb Johnson, Quiltbeeme said...

too darned funny!!! I remember those type of 'kid' days!! I hope Darla lambs soon so you don't have to worry and she can get more comfortable! It's a lovely week to lamb! Love, Momma

Becky said...

That bottle baby is so cute!!! It's sweet that he stuck so close to you :) The baby bunnies are so cute!! Oh Bean and Darla.... goodness, girls! It's like the Real Housewives of Katie's Barn in there! ;) Hopefully Darla will lamb soon so she'll have something better to think about! :)

Anne-Marie said...

Goodness those are some cute pictures =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...