Saturday, June 19, 2010

The New Baby!

I went out to feed today around 4:45 and saw that Darla had some discharge an a "bubble" of amniotic fluid. Woo hoo!! That meant lambing time!

I brought the lawn chair out in the pasture and sat for a while and chatted on the phone with my mom while I waited. After a while, I went inside to start dinner.



I came back out about an hour later and saw that she had two hooves starting to peek out. I called David and the kids to come out to watch.


David passed the time by feeding the goats. Boy did they love him!


Poor Darla started contracting and was really uncomfortable. Soon the lamb's nose appeared.


After about an hour of pushing with not much progress, I decided to go help out a little. All it took was a little pulling on my part and out slipped a lamb! I made sure the lamb's nose was clear, and then pulled the lamb up in front of Darla and let her do the rest.


She jumped right in and starting cleaning the lamb and talking to her (yes, a ewe lamb!).


It was really sweet.




I love this picture. Shortly after this picture, I went and got Darla up. A few minutes later the lamb stood up. I helped her find the teat and made sure she nursed. Then I dipped her navel in iodine to help it dry and kill any nasty germs.


I'm a little disappointed Darla had a single, but I'm just glad she lambed at all this year! The lamb has got the ears of a Border Leicester (her sire's breed). She looks to be a real cutie, and she's tall! I'll be sure to take more pictures tomorrow when she's dried off.

4 comments:

Dad said...

WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO That's great Katie!!! What a wonderful thing you were able to be right there. :-)

Deb Johnson, Quiltbeeme said...

What a handsome big baby girl! I am so tickled for you and Darla. I can't wait to see the pics tomorrow. I am so glad you were able to give her a hand. I know she was happy! Congrats hon. Love and kisses, Momma

Jen said...

Oh Katiegirl... you got great shot, so freakin cool! Congratulations on your new lamb.

Becky said...

Darn blogger erased my comment :(

Yay!!!! I'm so excited to see the baby! I'm sorry it's a single but what a huge baby! I'm sure Darla was glad she only had one ;) Cute pictures! I'm glad that Darla is such a natural mom. What did the kids think of watching the baby be born? Congratulations! :) I love her big ears. Cute!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...