Sunday, August 4, 2013

Busy Day

It was such a beautiful day outside, I took advantage of it and got a lot done.  I started with cleaning out the chicken coop. I really need to pressure wash the inside again, mainly to get all the cobwebs down from the walls and ceiling.  When I do that, I'd like to paint the entire inside like I should have done when we first built it.

I happened to find a hen with a hidden nest as I was walking through the yard.  She was pretty well hidden, in a roll of spare field fence.  There must be something in the water, because I've had so many broody hens this year. They're about to drive me batty!  I'm not sure how many eggs she has, but last year she hatched something like 12 chicks.
















The kids and I bathed all of the goats so we could get ready to clip them for the fair.  The older girls didn't like it much, and seemed to pout for a while.   They went in the kennel and laid down...like they wanted to be alone or something.

















The sheep just grazed around them. 
















The little girls didn't mind their baths too much, or at least they didn't go pout afterwards.
















After the goats were bathed, I sheared Dixie (the ewe lamb) so I could bathe her and slick shear her later this week.  I left her legs and head, so I could do those with the smaller clippers.  She looks so funny!

















































Later in the afternoon, I went to fill up the hummingbird feeders.  One little hummingbird was really guarding her (I'm assuming it's a female) feeder and let me get SO close to take a picture!
















She was just sitting there, watching me the whole time.
















That's about all for my Sunday.  It was nice getting a few things checked off the list, and even nicer to do them in the cooler weather!  I am just really hoping this cool weather stays around for the fair next week!

2 comments:

Becky said...

Wow! Lots of things happening around the barn yard. :) Smart hen putting her nest inside fencing! :) The goats look so pretty and Dixie looks like a cartoon character. :) That's amazing that the hummingbird let you get so close!!

Deb Johnson, Quiltbeeme said...

how cute!!! I love pictures of your farm hon! They are looking so good! Pst- that's a male hummer- they are the guarders! How cool you got such a great close up. I love that hen!! That is persistence!! You are doing such a good job hon!! Good luck at the fair - I miss those days! Love always, Momma

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...