Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Barn Renovations

Our barn wasn't really designed to be a barn, it was designed to be a garage.  David gets about half of it (maybe less, but don't tell him) for his use, and I get about half for my use.  My side has been getting messier and messier, since there was stuff piling up and no useful way to store it. 

There were shelves on one wall, but they were 4' deep. Who stores stuff on shelves that are 4' deep?  You can't really reach anything.  This past weekend, my dad and Lisa came to visit and to help move the crazy huge shelves.  Here are the shelves we took down.

















And here's where I wanted to put them, on the wall behind the ladder.

















Here's the wall after the shelves were removed.  It's valuable space, finally free from those monstrous shelves!

















It was really hard work, but someone had to do it.





















Only a few minor injuries...



















Almost done...

















And here are the finished shelves!  They need to be better organized.  I was in a hurry to bring stuff back inside the barn since it was supposed to rain. 

We've still got several things to do in the barn, like maybe put up a few more shelves and finish straightening things up.  I also may tear down the large pen made of pallets, and rebuild 2 or 3 smaller pens out of cattle panels.  We're looking for an inexpensive solution for the flooring.  Right now it's dirt floor covered with hay and straw, but we're thinking about putting in a more solid surface, maybe like stone dust or something like that.  I also need to make a milking area, so I can hook up my new (used, but new to me!) goat milking machine!  I'll blog about it later, right now it's disassembled and needs some cleaning. 

3 comments:

Becky said...

Looks great!! So nice to have that extra valuable space with so many babies due soon! :)

Deb Johnson, Quiltbeeme said...

What a great start on your barn redo! How great is it going to be once you're finished! Good job! Love, Momma

Jen said...

Nice...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...