Thursday, June 21, 2012

$5 Pig Waterer

If you've ever had pigs, you know how hard it can be to keep their water trough clean.  Heck, even if you've never had pigs I'm sure you know how much they love mud.  Pigs + water = mud!   I started out with a few shallow water pans for the pigs, and I'd have to fill them several times a day.  As soon as I'd fill them, the pigs would flop over on them.

I got tired of having to refill them all the time, so we made a pig waterer.   It cost us $5, since all it took was a barrel and a nipple.   We already had the barrel (it was our chicken cooling barrel when we raised meat chickens).  It was simple to make, we just cut a hole in the barrel and used Q-Bond (a heavy duty super-glue like material) to glue the nipple in place.  It has held up beautifully. 























Then we set the waterer outside of the pig pen and put the nipple through the fence. We elevated it so the nipple is almost a foot off the ground.  
















It took them a while to use it, so I left the old water pans in there for a few weeks.  They weren't figuring out how to use it, so when I was home all day one weekend I took their water pans out and used marshmallows to entice them to bite the nipple.

















After about 20 minutes and 10 marshmallows (stuck on the end of the nipple), they finally figured it out.  Actually, it was the littlest piglet who figured it out first.  Once he got it, the others copied him.  Now they always have fresh clean water, and I don't have to refill it multiple times a day!
















I do still give them a mud hole though.  You can't have pigs in these hot summers without giving them a wallow!

4 comments:

Patrick said...

Something I learned from when I had my pigs is that if you take a soda bottle or milk jug and fill it with water and then freeze it you have a giant ice cube. You can either cut it or throw it in uncut and just keep refreezing it. They also love it if you throw the frozen block in with them when they are hot.

Deb said...

Great idea katie and I bet that means a lot less work for you!! I love Patrick's idea of the ice block! Hey Patrick! Love how little pig pig got it first!! Love you, Momma

Susan said...

What a great idea! Dealing with the humongous wallow at the feeding and watering area was my pet peeve when we had pigs. I am glad you give them a separate wallow, though. They sure do love their mud baths.

American Alps said...

Brilliant idea! We had pig water problems all last year - this is a great solution. I hope you don't mind if we copy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...