Monday, June 13, 2011

Success!



A few weeks ago I noticed my guinea hen wasn't around anymore but the 2 guinea males (guinea roosters? LOL) were. I figured she'd gone off to set a nest somewhere. I have a love hate relationship with the guineas. They love to torment me and I pretty much hate them. Ok, well I hate them 95% of the time. The other 5% they're tolerable. Anyways, I figured I'd try to find the nest, and when that failed I figured I'd wait until she came back with keets. I'd catch the keets and sell them, and them try to catch the adults and sell them as well. I'm a little tired of being woken up at 6:30 on Saturday morning by the alarm call of a guinea who is mad because I haven't fed them yet.

Today I noticed the hen was back and she was standing next to one of the males. He was standing in an odd position. I walked over and when he moved out popped a cute little guinea keet! One little lone keet. I caught him and the hen got very upset with me, so I put him down again. I couldn't bear to take him away, plus I can't really raise a solo keet in a brooder. I know keets don't do well with their parents sometimes, because they're a little more susceptible to cold dewy conditions than chicks are. This little one is going to have to make it on his own though, I just can't catch them all. They're very wily and roost in trees instead of in the coop. I need to figure out some sort of trap.

Maybe when the keet is bigger I can sell them. Maybe.

5 comments:

Becky said...

Cute!! That only child will have lots of attention, for sure! :) Too bad there weren't more and you can't sell them as keets. Hopefully you'll be able to rig a trap to catch them all at some point. :)

Deb said...

Love that little keet!! But I can see your point - I'd get those danged things out of town too!! No wonder they have such a bad reputation! Shame they're so pretty. Love you again, Momma

Allison at Novice Life said...

Good Luck! I hear this a lot about the Guinea's but I know some farmers tolerate them since they are good at keeping the bugs away...at least that is what I hear!

Jennifer said...

Awww... Sweet. I have a love/hate relationship with my 5 guineas too! I hate that they do no lay their eggs in my coop but they sure do like to sleep there & eat all the food, lol. I've only seen 1 keet this year & it didnt make it, makes me mad... if they would just nest in the coop them maybe more keets would make it. Good luck with your.

Susan said...

I LOVE our 5 guineas! I don't even mind the occasional racket they make. I have no clue howot tell the males from the females, but one of ours has chosen to hang out with the chickens and spend nights in the coop rather than the barn loft - i tend to think she is maybe the lone female.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...