Monday, May 30, 2011

The Long Weekend



David and I both had long weekends thanks to a furlough day on Friday and the holiday today. It was great, but of course it was just too quick. Friday we ran some errands and didn't do a whole lot else. Saturday we had a cookout with the kids, Dad and Lisa, and my brother Chris and his girlfriend, Nikki. Sunday we stayed home and relaxed and did a few little things around the house. Today I managed to water the garden and plant some herb and flower seeds. Around 7:00 this evening I decided I wanted to make something for dessert.

I had lots of little bags of frozen egg whites (from making ice cream that uses egg yolks), so I figured I'd make meringue something-or-other. I used this recipe for chocolate meringue cookies (but left out the chocolate chips). Then I decided I'd make meringue "bowls" to hold a strawberry filling using the strawberries I had in the freezer. I also had a cup of heavy cream leftover in the fridge (from something else I made, but can't remember what), so I whipped that up. The strawberry filling was just strawberries, a few tablespoons of water, and a little sugar, and a little cornstarch simmered together until it was fairly thick. After I baked the meringues I topped them with strawberries and whipped cream. It made a nice light dessert!

I'm dreading going back to work tomorrow. At least it'll be Tuesday and not the dreaded Mondays! Plus I have a riding lesson tomorrow. More on that later!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That looks beautiful and delicious! Great job! I've never made meringues before. Maybe I'll give them a try soon. Don't the long weekends seem to go by the fastest?

This is Becky, btw. Blogger doesn't seem to want me to sign in.

Jen said...

Nice lookin dessert. I love makin hm strawberry shortcakes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...