Sunday, February 13, 2011

Japanese Surrender

Today I was out in the yard when I saw a folded up newspaper in our flower bed. I bent down to pick it up and noticed it looked old and out of place. I opened it and found this picture:


It was from the Baltimore News Post, dated August 14, 1945. Very cool! This is the other side:



I came inside and showed David and then went online to see if newspapers from that date were worth anything. I found an answer that said titles with something like "Japan Surrenders" were valued at around $10-$15. The paper we found didn't have a headline like that, but we still thought it was cool.

An hour or two later I saw another newspaper stuck on a reflector at the end of our driveway. I walked down and this is what I saw:



The front page with the surrender headline! How cool is that!



Here's the inside. It's pretty neat getting this glimpse of history.


I found several papers with these headlines on Ebay but it doesn't look like there is much demand. We'll probably keep them because David's grandfather fought in WWII and it's pretty neat that a paper that old blew into our yard. There's an auction house near us and we are pretty sure they blew over from there.

It's not every day you find a 65 year old paper in your yard.

5 comments:

Becky said...

Wow!!! That is really cool!! I wonder where they came from? How did they end up in your yard? What a cool thing to find. :)

Becky said...

Oops, I just read where you said they probably came from the auction house. hehe I should read more carefully. :)

Jen said...

Pretty cool.

Kritter Keeper at Farm Tails said...

wow those are keepers~! that is weird how they blew in your yard!

Deb Johnson, Quiltbeeme said...

That's pretty awesome Katie! It does show you how much things change. We wouldn't say the word Jap today! Go squeeze Purl now!! Hugs, Momma

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...