Sunday, October 17, 2010

Cajeta

I found a thread on a dairy goat forum about something called cajeta and everyone was raving about it, so I had to google it. Cajeta is a "Mexican confection" (according to Wiki) made from milk and sugar, almost a mix between caramel and sweetened condensed milk. I had to make it!



Here's the recipe I used. I used goat milk for mine, because David pointed out that I had quite a stockpile of milk in the fridge. Cajeta is a good topping for cookies, pound cake, icecream, and pretty much anything else you can think of. The only negative thing is it takes a lot of stirring. I mean a LOT of stirring. I stirred mine for an hour and a half before it was ready. I almost cheered when it reached the soft ball stage!

I don't have any pound cake or icecream, but I do have apples. I think I'll go have some apples dipped in cajeta right now!

7 comments:

Becky said...

Oh my goodness! An hour and a half of stirring! I bet your arm was so tired. How was it? Was it good enough to make all that work worth it? It looks delicious!

katiegirl said...

Yeah, I thought my arm would fall off at one point! It was so good, and definitely worth it! It made about 2 pints I guess!

jenn said...

Oh man, that looks divine! Is is sort of like a dulce de leche?

Jen said...

An hour and a half... oh my! lol. Looks and sounds good.

Susan said...

Oh Yum! Last summer when we were milking LaFonda, Cadence made so much dulce de leche, we still have at least 24 pints in the barn fridge. Now I am inspired to try it with apples!

Kim said...

That looks good! I'll have to try it.

Deb Johnson, Quiltbeeme said...

Yummmm! Love you, Momma

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...