Sunday, July 18, 2010

Weekend Project: Part 1

This weekend I started tackling a project I've been wanting to do for a while now. The ram lamb and buck kid are getting more mature, and I don't want to risk any unplanned breedings, so they need their own bachelor pad.

I saved up some money from sales from the "farm" (eggs, veggies, etc), and used it to buy all the supplies I needed. I managed to find some chain link fencing for free, so that really helped the budget! I'll give the price breakdown in the next installment.

I picked an area behind the barn because it gets nice afternoon shade and is a convenient area to have a pen located. Plus, putting the pen directly adjacent to the barn means I only need to fence 3 sides, and the shelter will also share a wall with the barn. I measured out an area that is approximately 21' long and 14' wide. The two of them won't be staying here year round, so I don't need a huge area.


Luckily our dry spell has ended (we got 5" of rain last weekend and another 1-2" during the week!), so digging the post holes was very easy! I dug them all 24" down and used cement on all of the corner posts and the gate post.


I used a string to make sure all of the posts were in line.


For some reason the posts look slightly crooked in this picture, but I used the level to make sure they were straight.


We also attached the fencing to the posts this evening, but I didn't get any pictures of that. Tomorrow I'll pick up the gate and hopefully finish this project!

5 comments:

Kim said...

It looks like it's going to work great for your guys.

Jen said...

Cool... cant wait to see if finished.

Kelly said...

I feel for you. We worked on fence this week too. Look forward to seeing the finished product.

Becky said...

Wow, you're making a nice pen! Great job. I'm so glad you guys finally got rain!

Deb Johnson, Quiltbeeme said...

Great start on the pen Katie and David. Oh, I want to warn you that that left corner post is going to warp. he he he Love you, Momma

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...