Monday, November 18, 2013

October-November Update


I haven't been posting much lately, so here's a quick overview of some of the things that have been going on.

The leaves were so pretty this year when they changed!  I caught this picture one day when there were some pretty altocumulus clouds (I learned that from the local weather guy's facebook page). 













 

It seems like they didn't last long though....before I knew it they were gone.















I love the scenery in the winter though....doing the chores at dusk is nice because the sky is always so pretty.
















I caught a pretty sunset one evening a few weeks ago.
















I call this "Sunset Over the Goat Pen".





















Now that it's cold and getting below freezing, we had to winterize the camper.  We ran RV antifreeze all through the plumbing.
















One weekend when David had plans with his uncle, the kids and I went to Fifer Orchards for their open house.  They had free hay rides, free cider, and free s'mores!
































































David and Elmer watched some tv...
















And then Elmer got tired...
















I planted some wheat in the pasture to extend the grazing season.  I'll graze it this coming week, then fence the sheep off for the winter.  Come spring, as soon as it warms up a bit the wheat will shoot up and I should get some more good early grazing. (the wheat is the bright green grass below)
















A borrowed buck is here to breed Ida and June. His name is Lucky, and he's a yearling Oberhasli.  He's very sweet, and has a teeny little baby voice.  I tried to get a better picture, but this was the only angle I could get.  Of course I am pretty sure he bred the does, but I forgot to write down the date!  I think it's mid-late October, for late March kids. 
















And there's a new bunny.  There should have been more, but for some reason both does kindled a day or two apart, and neither one pulled fur for a nest!  Most of the babies died of hypothermia before I found them.  I managed to save one of them, and he's doing just fine.  This picture was taken a couple of weeks ago, so he's twice the size now. 
















I tried to re-breed the doe who lost all her kits, but I don't think she settled.  Sometimes rabbit breeding isn't as easy as it should be!



Ok, that update gets me caught up through mid-November.  Maybe I'll get over my blogging slump soon and be able to keep on top of things from now on.  :-)







2 comments:

Becky said...

Gorgeous pictures of the sunsets and leaves!!! The one picture looks like the sky is on fire! I love how much sky you guys can see where you live.
That picture of Elmer sitting up with David is hilarious!!! Those two are two peas in a pod.
Looks like you had fun at the orchard. :) I'm sorry about your rabbit troubles. That little bunny is cute. Does he have a hump on his nose or is it just the angle of the picture?

Deb Johnson, Quiltbeeme said...

A wonderful catch up Kate! I can't believe how cute that photo of David and Elmer is! Boy does that dog love his daddy! Great job taking the kids out for fall fun! Your fall photos are amazing! We had one of those flaming sunsets the other day - so gorgeous! Love you, Momma

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...