Saturday, November 20, 2010

Pyrex...How I Love Thee

A few years ago I was browsing the kitchen section of a local thrift store and I saw this Pyrex bowl. It was pretty and I liked it right away, but I didn't know if I should buy it. I put it down and walked away and then saw someone else go pick it up and look at it. Immediately I cursed myself for not holding on to it. They put it down, so I walked back over and picked it up. It was mine, darn it.

I got it home and realized just how much I loved it. It was so pretty. I started looking online at vintage Pyrex and knew I found something I wanted to start collecting. Pyrex comes in so many colors and patterns and they're so pretty (most of them). I've picked up a few more pieces and I wanted to share.

I bought these bowls all at separate times. The yellow one is in perfect condition, the color is bright and not faded or worn at all. The red one is the most faded, and it's actually more of a pinkish red color than the picture shows.


My mother in law recently scored these Pyrex Pixies (see, even the name is cute!) at a moving sale. I got them for next to nothing! I'm in love with the color, and they're in perfect shape!


She also picked up this yellow refrigerator casserole dish at the same place. I found the small green refrigerator dish at the thrift store.


MIL also found this awesome bowl. It's not Pyrex, but I love it just the same. It's actually a York bowl, and from what I could find on the net it's from the 40's. York Pottery was eventually bought by Pfaltzgroff.


This bowl is heavy and solid. I can just imagine the women who've used it to mix their food over the years. It's neat thinking I'm using something that has been used for decades by other women (or men, I'm not sexist). It has a pretty swirl on the inside.


And here's the York keystone.


MIL also got these 2 individual casserole dishes. Isn't there another name for them? I can't remember what it is. They make me want to cook up some single serving lasagnas!


Here are two divided casseroles I have. I'd love to find a lid for the one on the left. The one on the right is the Verde pattern.


MIL also scored this large green mixing bowl. I'm pretty sure my mom had one just like it, but I don't remember if it was green or not. I love the handles because they make pouring easy.


Then I have these 2 small individual bowls, not sure of the pattern on these.


I'm not quite as in love with these two, because they're just a little boring for my tastes. The left one is Town and Country pattern, and the right is Copper Filigree.


Here's another dish that I like, but don't love. It's a casserole in the pattern Gold Acorn.


There are many many devoted Pyrex collectors and sometimes I just browse through their collections (online) and drool. I especially love the pink stuff. Here is one website with some patterns and years of production, and here's another good one for vintage patterns.

One day I'd like to have a kitchen full of these vintage Pyrex pieces. It just makes cooking and baking more fun when you have pretty bowls!

8 comments:

Becky said...

Wow, Kate! What a beautiful collection!! I love all of your pieces! I love Pyrex too. Too bad my kitchen is so small. That big green bowl is so pretty :)

Beth said...

What an interesting post and an interesting link. I didn't know it had a name before now, but i have a set of the spring blossom green mixing bowls that my mom passed down to me. She still has quite a few other pieces from that pattern, i think. But i have the four nested mixing/serving bowls. I love them. I have dough rising in the big one right now. I think she must have gotten them around the time she was married, circa '73. Pretty cool. I feel extra special now. =) Thanks!

LeAnn said...

Oh yes, I love Pyrex and Corning too. It makes me feel all safe and warm or something. I have a large collection also, including the same bowls. I have collected quite a large stash of the Blue Corn pattern. Thanks for showing your collection.

Jen said...

Those are pretty... I'm gonna start paying more attention when I go to the thrift shops.

Susan said...

I grew up learning to bake with those colorful pyrex mixing bowls. I think my mom still has the big yellow one and the small blue one. When i visit and use them, memories of baking christmas cookies with my sisters flood over me.

Kelly said...

I love your pyrex collection. It seems that pyrex would re create these beloved patterns for today. I found a red bottom and top when we moved into our farmhouse. I have so many questions and wish that bowl could answer. Can you imagine what it would have to say?

Jen's Farmily said...

That is so neat. I honestly didn't know that pyrex had a collectible appeal, but after seeing all your pieces, I think those are really cool!

Deb Johnson, Quiltbeeme said...

That's a great collection you have going Katie!! I love how you love traditional things. You have a great eye for what to collect! Love you, Momma

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...