Sunday, September 6, 2015

Coop Re-Do

My hens haven't been laying much lately, and I have been reading that stress in the coop can decrease egg production.  The coop has been crowded lately since the new chicks have grown so much, and I knew they needed another roost. I decided to go ahead and clean out the coop, and pressure wash it, then paint it and change the layout a tad.

Rule #1 when pressure washing a chicken coop--keep your mouth closed.
















Here's the "before" painting.  The OSB has held up really well (it has been 6 years), but it is starting to swell just a bit behind the roosts, so I figured I'd paint it to get a few more years out of it.
















The branch to the right is the new roost, waiting to be installed.
















The nestbox was on the back (long) wall, so I decided to move it next to the door so I could use the long wall for the new roost.
















And here's after the wall paint. It's PINK.  I used leftover paint from Kylee's bedroom, since I didn't want to spend money on new paint for the coop.
























Here's the back wall, painted in light pink.  I put the new roost up, so there's way more room for the chickens now.
















And here's the new nestbox location.
















I hope the girls like pink!





2 comments:

Momma/Deb said...

I think egg production should increase with such feminine digs!!! It looks nice and clean now and love the natural roosts. Lucky chickens! Love you, Momma

Becky said...

I love the pink! :) I bet they'll love the new design and the extra roost space :) Great job!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...