Sunday, March 16, 2014

Weekend in Pictures

This post is going to have a ton of pictures. It was a beautiful day on Saturday...sunny and in the 60's.  We all took advantage of it!

Darla and her two lambs

















The ram is on the left and ewe is on the right. 



































Dixie and her spotted ram lamb are very photogenic.

















Dixie and ram lamb are in front, and Bean and her lambs (the oldest) are to the right in the back.  Barley and her two are to the left.

















Barley's ewe lamb is the cutest thing ever.  I just love her sweet face. 




















































I built an LRD (lamb recreational device, what our old boss used to call bales of straw he'd put out for the lambs to jump on) out of cinder blocks, and the lambs seem to like it. 


















David used the tractor with the blade to push the thick mat of wasted hay from underneath the feeder.  Unfortunately we don't have a tractor with a loader, so he could only push it up in a pile.  These piles break down amazingly fast though. I'll probably start taking it a little at a time to the compost pile. 



















A week or so ago I mentioned to David that I'd like to clear out the brush behind the sheep pasture so I could get back there. We've got some posts that have rotted and need to be replaced, and there were briars growing up the fence and looking ugly.  He went back there and cleared a really nice area using his tractor and blade.  Yay!

















We don't have any sidewalks, so Kylee used her chalk on our front porch. 






















She's quite the artist!

















Devin did some practicing with his bow. 

















And he tried to shoot his BB gun, but it wasn't working properly. 

















It was windy yesterday, and I caught a pic of our rooster's tail blowing wildly.  Isn't he a handsome guy?

















And here's my Cochin cross hen, looking for tasty treats in the sheep pasture.

















David and Devin built a mousetrap for the barn.  It consists of a can with a wire threaded through it, suspended inside the bucket.  You spread peanutbutter on the can, and when the mice step on the can, it rolls and dumps them in the bucket. 

















There are great instructions on Youtube.  So far we haven't caught any mice.

















Rocky, the buck, has been running loose in the barn this winter. He has gotten brave and tries to escape so he can explore outside.  He's very good though, and I can fuss at him and shoo him back to the barn...






















And he'll jump right back in.  Cheeky little guy...

















When we were kids, I remember we had a day when we sat at the kitchen table and played with vinegar and baking soda and food coloring...we had a blast putting it into all sorts of containers and watching the explosions.  I told the kids they could do the same thing out on the deck.  They used a whole gallon of vinegar, and a good bit of baking soda, but they had so much fun. Devin was worried when he said they used all the vinegar, but I told him it was very cheap and not to worry.

Vases give the best results!
I even joined in for a bit.  



Today I went and bought seed potatoes and onions.  These will be split between my sister and me.  We got Cobbler, Kennebec, Norland, Yukon Gold, Pontiac Red, Adirondack Blue, and Russet potatoes, and red, white, yellow, and Stuttgarter onion sets.   

And after a lovely weekend with 60 degree weather on Saturday, it's now snowing!  Hopefully it won't last long!

2 comments:

Becky said...

What a great weekend!!!! The lambs are so adorable!! The LRD (LOL, love the name!) seems like a hit! :) Great chalk drawing, Kylee. What fun you guys had with the vinegar and baking soda! I LOVED doing that as a kid! I'll have to do that soon with my kids. The vases do work the best. Yay for seed potatoes and onions! I better get rolling on our garden. I'm glad you had such a great weekend. :) I can't wait until spring weather is here to stay.

Deb Johnson, Quiltbeeme said...

What fun! I loved seeing how all the lambs are doing! It's nice to see the two new moms taking to raising their babes so well! I loved when one of the white lambs stopped playing to 'talk' to it's mom! I was tickled to see you playing vinegar and baking soda with the kids! That was fun! No stains on the ceiling either!! Things are looking great and thanks for taking the time to show us all that's been going on at Katie Has a Little Lamb Farm!! :-) Love you, Momma

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...