Thursday, March 1, 2012

Shaker Lemon Pie

I bought a bag of Meyer lemons last week. Partly because they were packaged in a cute little bag (sucker!) and partly because I'd heard of a pie that used the whole lemon, rind and all.

It's called the Shaker lime pie. Apparently the Shakers did not want to waste any of the precious lemons, so they made the pie with the whole thing (minus the seeds). The lemons get sliced very thinly, then mixed with a generous amount of suger, some eggs, and vanilla. I was excited to try it!


I added the ingredients...


...and made the pie with my interpretation of a lemon branch.



It looked so good and I could not wait to try it!



The result? Eh. David hates it. I think it's just ok. The lemons were SO tart and bitter. Maybe I didn't slice them thinly enough. Also, most recipes I've seen call for 2 lemons and 2 cups of sugar. The recipe I used called for 3-4 lemons (I used 4) and 2 cups of sugar.




So since the crust is delicious, and the lemon curd itself is good, I've been eating it and just removing the lemon slices. I wish I had peeled the lemons first, because I think I could handle that.


Here's the recipe for the crust (but I did use my food processor to make it). The crust and the curd is really good a little vanilla ice cream on top!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmm, that is odd that it came out so tart since myer lemons are supposed to be sweeter!

Becky said...

Bummer! Don't you hate when you get excited about a recipe and spend all that time making it to have it come out not so great? I'm glad the crust and curd was great though! It looks beautiful! You did a great job with the crust and the decoration! :)

Jen said...

Hum. I was thinkin about tryin it til I read yall really dont like it, lol. I've made plenty of bummer recipes over the year, if ya dont try it you'll never know :)

The pie crust looks great.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...